We admit once a year approximately 25 full-time students per year. Most have degrees in psychology, social work, teaching, or fields related to people. We also accept applications from people in other fields seeking new careers in counseling. We look for applicants who want to make a difference. We accept a few part-time students, but they must be able to attend classes during the day and take time off for an internship.
To be considered for admission, students must have the following:
- A baccalaureate degree with coursework in appropriate areas
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.8 (students with average but exceptional credentials may be admitted provisionally); students with an undergraduate GPA below 2.5 can’t be admitted
- Graduate Record Exam scores—on the new scale 290 or better is strongly preferred, and we consider scores of 900 or better on the old scale (exams taken prior to November 2011).
The following materials must also be completed and submitted along with the WVU Graduate Admission Application:
- Departmental Application to M.A. in Counseling Program
- Letters of Recommendation Form (Duplicate as needed)
Please click on the link below and complete the WVU Graduate Admission Application.Apply Now
The application deadline for fall admission is February 15, with review of completed applications beginning
February 1. Early completion of applications is preferred. We do not admit
any other time.
For questions and concerns about the admissions process, please contact:
Administrative Secretary, Sr.
Ed Jacobs, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Coordinator of Counseling