We admit once a year approximately 25 full-time students per year. Most have degrees in psychology, social work, teaching, or fields related to people. We also accept applications from people in other fields seeking new careers in counseling. We look for applicants who want to make a difference. We accept a few part-time students, but they must be able to attend classes during the day and take time off for an internship.
To be considered for admission, students must have the following:
- A baccalaureate degree with coursework in appropriate areas
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.8 (students with average but exceptional credentials may be admitted provisionally); students with an undergraduate GPA below 2.5 can’t be admitted
- Graduate Record Exam scores - 290 or better is strongly preferred. For more information or to schedule exam visit the GRE Test website.
The following materials must also be completed and submitted along with the WVU Graduate Admission Application:
- Departmental Application to M.A. in Counseling Program
- Letters of Recommendation Form (Duplicate as needed)
Please click on the link below and complete the WVU Graduate Admission Application.Apply Now
IMPORTANT: The deadline for Fall 2019 School Counseling applications has been extended until February 28, 2019.
The application deadline for fall admission is
15, with review of completed applications beginning
February 1. Early completion of applications is preferred. We do not admit
any other time.
For questions and concerns about the admissions process, please contact:
Administrative Secretary, Sr.
Ed Jacobs, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Coordinator of Counseling