Skip to main content

M.S. in Clinical REhabilitation
and mental health Counseling

Rehabilitation Counselor Certification

Graduates are eligible to sit for certification as Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC). This certification is standard for employment in the rehabilitation field nationwide. The purpose is to ensure that the professionals engaged in rehabilitation counseling meet acceptable standards of quality in practice. The existence of acceptable standards is considered to be in the best interest of consumers of rehabilitation counseling services and the general public. Visit the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) site for more information.

Prepare for the CRC Exam

National Certified Counselor

National counselor certification from National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) demonstrates to the public and employers that the counselor has met the national standards set by the counseling profession. It is not a license to practice. In some states, holding a national certification can assist the counselor in obtaining a state license. National certification travels with the counselor no matter the state or country of residence. The flagship national certification offered by NBCC is the NCC (National Certified Counselor). 

Prepare for the NBCC Exam

Professional Counselor Licensure

The CRC or the NBCC is often a step to becoming a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), the most common state statutory counselor credential. Unlike certification, licensure is a legislatively established process. Typically, it grants the legal right to practice through law, while restricting this right only to persons who hold a license. It is important to note that state laws vary. In some states, state-legislated certification may protect both the title and practice of a profession. These states require licensure to render counseling services to the public. These laws typically are referred to as “practice acts or laws.” Similarly, some states grant licenses that act more like certification laws by protecting only the title granted to practitioners, but not regulating the practice of the profession. These laws are usually referred to as “title acts or laws.” Visit the American Association of State Counseling Boards (AASCB) site for more information.

Expectations for each state are different. Please let us know early so we can help you design both your coursework and the practicum/internship experiences to meet the educational requirements of the state licensing board. We have worked with students pursuing licensure in West Virginia and have created the WV LPC Educational Requirements based on 2008 changes as a guide. Please note that these are only a guide and do not substitute for advice given directly by representatives of the licensing board.